ASTON WITH HOPE
A bit of history and interesting facts about our villages
The village of Hope is situated where the River Noe and Peakshole Water meet, and has a range of hills to the north including Win Hill and Losehill. Hope village was mentioned in the Doomsday book as having both a priest and a church. The present church, dedicated to St Peter, dates from around the 13th century and is famous for its gargoyles, a Norman font and the stump of a Saxon Cross in the churchyard. Hope village is located off the A6187, 1.5 miles east of Castleton and 4 miles west of Hathersage, within the High Peak District Council administration area. The village grew from the central crossroads which marks the junction of the north-south route from Edale to Bradwell (via Eccles Lane) with the east-west route along the Hope Valley. The village has largely grown in a linear fashion, along the north side of the A6187 and along Edale Road. Hope has a pre-school, primary school and a secondary school which serves the wider Hope Valley area.
Aston is a small linear farming settlement located to the east of Hope. There has been a settlement at Aston since before the Domesday survey in 1028. Aston Hall dates back to 1578 when the Balguys family, prominent academics of high social standing in the Peak District area lived there. Both Hope and Aston are located within the valley farmlands and villages characteristic of the White Peak landscape. Hope is a hugely popular visitor destination particularly for walkers and cyclists. While warmly welcoming visitors and recognising the benefits to the local economy Hope with Aston Parish Council along with other Hope Valley Parish Councils are mindful of the impact on the landscape, particularly the need for careful and thoughtful maintenance and management of footpaths, trails and bridleways.
HISTORY OF HOPE VILLAGE
Bronze AgeFrom around 2100 to 750 BCA bronze age barrow, called The Folly, lies to the south of Pindale Road.
Roman PeriodThe occupation lasted from AD 43 to AD 410The Roman fort of Navio lies to the east of the village.
Saxon PeriodFrom the 5th to the 11th centuriesA Saxon church is recorded and there are the remains of a Saxon cross in the Churchyard.
Norman Period11th centuryHope is recorded in The Domesday Book with a Saxon Church. Hope motte is constructed.
163517th centuryThe first School was built.
171518th centuryA weekly market was established.
175818th centuryThe Turnpike Road through the village was established.
183519th centuryMethodist Chapel built.
189519th centuryThe Railway opens through the valley and the Parish Council established.
192720th centuryEarle’s Cement works opens.
197420th centuryAston joins Hope Parish Council.